Thursday, February 23, 2012

Whole Grain Coconut Milk Pancakes

Bulk whole grain pancake mix is on sale at my local Whole Foods so I was inspired to try it out for the first time. I need to ask them to be sure but I'm guessing it is mostly a combo of buckwheat and whole wheat pastry flour and most likely has a few other whole grains mixed in there (teff flour, soy flour, and amaranth flour maybe). So I tried it out.

1. Mix approx. 1 cup whole grain pancake mix and 1 egg
2. Add approximately one cup coconut milk (I used vanilla flavored coconut milk. you could use plain and just add a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla with it)
3. Pour enough batter to form 4-5" diameter pancakes on a warm griddle
4. Wait for the top of the pancakes to bubble around the edges before flipping!
(please don't quote me on these measurements since I rarely use exact measuring for pancakes but add as much milk as you need to reach a good consistency.  Add more milk to create a thinner batter that can be used for crepes instead)

They turned out great! Fluffed up good, had a nice full depth to the flavor and no gritty (typical whole grain) texture. My only complaint is that I didn't have honey or agave to use as a syrup sub. (Next time...)

No comments:

Post a Comment